Important Parent Information
Posted August 24, 2018
School Contact Information
- Oakdale’s mailing address is 9801 West Center Road, Omaha, NE 68124.
- Our main phone line is 402-390-6460 and our fax number is 402-390-2164.
- You can find teacher contact information BY CLICKING HERE. If you want to email anyone in the district, all email addresses are set up the same: email@example.com.
- Our school day begins at 8:40 a.m. Students may enter the building at 8:30 a.m.
- We ask that students not arrive before 8:30 a.m., unless:
- Participating in a school activity
- Serving on Safety Patrol
- Working with a teacher
- Attending Club 66 Before & After Care program
- Why can’t I arrive early?
- There is no supervision available in the morning. Teachers are involved in team meetings, staff meetings and individual planning from 8:00-8:30 a.m.
- When visiting Oakdale, parking is available in two lots. You may either park in the diagonal parking stalls to the north of the building or in the lot directly to the east of the main entrance. Please do not park in the Early Childhood west parking lot as that is reserved for parents dropping off and picking up preschool and Club 66 students.
- During evening events or large events during the school day, we will open the overflow parking lot which is the students’ basketball court on the west side of the building. In addition, the curb side lane of the pick up/drop off line is available for parking.
- Please do not park in the pick up/drop off lane during school arrival or dismissal times.
- Each school day begins with taking attendance. It is very important that students be in their classrooms by 8:40 a.m. so they are not missed during this procedure. We also take attendance immediately following the lunch recess, which means that if students leave campus for lunch with a parent, they need to be back when that attendance is taken. The school secretary will call the home or work of parents who have not called in and reported their child’s absence. Please help us with this by calling the office at 402-390-6460 by 8:50 a.m. when your student is not coming to school or will be late for school. Safety is our focus in making this request.
- Students coming in after 8:40 a.m. or after attendance is taken in the afternoon must come to the office and sign in. Students coming or going during the day for appointments, illness, etc., must also sign in and out through the office.
Wednesday Early Dismissal
- Every Wednesday, we end the school day at 3:00 p.m. instead of 3:30 p.m. This gives our teachers throughout the District collaboration time by attending weekly professional learning communities or PLC’s.
- The health office must have a written, signed and dated Medication Authorization form from the parent or guardian requesting that his/her child be given medication during the school day (prescription or over-the-counter). This form is available in the office.
- All medication must be brought to school and taken home from school by a parent. It must be in the original container, labeled with the child’s name, date prescribed, name of medication, directions for use, dosage information and the time the medication is to be given. Cough drops, and any over-the-counter medication must be in the original box/package, and a Medication Authorization form must be filled out. These medications are kept in the health office.
- Scrapes and cuts are washed and bandaged, if needed. We do not, and cannot, use any ointment or cleaning product on an individual. If an injury is severe or questionable, a parent will be contacted. All medication, including cough drops, must be picked up by a parent at the end of the duration. We will not send any medication home with a child.
- In an effort to save paper resources and to reduce printing costs, we will continue to put the newsletter on our school website and will e-mail a copy to families once a month. Students will still bring home flyers advertising various nonprofit activities. We will also print a limited number of newsletters for those families who request them.
- Please make sure we have your most current e-mail address. Any questions, please contact the front office at 402-390-6460.
- The Elementary Parent/Student handbook is electronic on the district website, availableHERE. If you would like to request a paper copy, please let the office know.
District Dress Code
- In order to ensure a positive learning environment where all feel comfortable and respected, please follow the district dress code expectations. We expect our students to wear clothing that:
- Is clean, safe, and in good condition.
- Is considerate of others.
- Is free of advertisements, graphics or language on drugs, alcohol, tobacco or violence.
- Is free of sexual or disrespectful comments or graphics.
- Covers body parts appropriately. Halter tops, bare shoulders, and short shorts are not acceptable.
- Students will be asked to call home for a change of clothing if not dressed properly.
- Lunch money will be taken at the office or you can click here and add money to your child’s account. Checks should be made to Oakdale Elementary. If you are sending money for more than one child, please note the amount of money to be deposited in each child’s account.
- We welcome family members to join their students for lunch. If you will be eating school lunch we ask that you call the office by 8:50 am, so we can add you to the lunch count. Due to limited physical space in our cafeteria, we ask that parents and families sit with only their child at the overflow tables. If you want to sit with a friend, you can do so, but at the regular lunch tables with all students.
Snacks and Birthdays
- In 2017, Westside Community Schools adopted a new safer and healthier snacks policy. Please view this policy, as well as a list of approved snacks and candies, on our district website by clicking here. We ask that you not bring any snacks or candies to share that are not on that list.
- Birthdays are a special time for families and friends to celebrate. We enjoy celebrating birthdays at school as well, however, we are also charged with the education of all students and that takes precedence. Please communicate with your child’s teacher for their own preference regarding birthday celebrations. The snack and candy policy applies to any snack you choose to bring.
- We do not allow balloons, flowers, or presents, as that distracts from the learning environment. There are other things the class can do besides snacks, such as free time, special activity, extra recess, etc.
- Please remember to call the school office at 402-390-6460 before 9:00 a.m. if:
- Your child will be absent from school for any reason.
- Your child will be late for school.
- You would like to join your child for lunch and need to order a tray for yourself.
- Often times, parents will tell the teacher when their children are going to be gone, the office needs to know this information as well. We would appreciate your help with this anytime you know your child will be out of school.
- Also, please let the office know if you are going to be out of town and someone else will be taking care of your children. In the case of an emergency, we don’t want to waste precious time trying to get in touch with the wrong person.
Personal Property Reminder
- Students are reminded that all personal items, such as skateboards, iPods, toys, footballs, basketballs, etc., are not to be brought to school unless specifically requested by the classroom teacher. These items are costly and could be damaged or lost.
- The school is not responsible for damaged or lost items.
After School Plans
- Please remember that after school plans should be made outside of school hours. Students are expected to go directly home and be off school grounds by 3:45 p.m. (3:15 p.m. on Wednesdays). Each child should know what their after school plan is each day. Students going home with another child after school should make plans ahead of time. Please remember to notify the school if there is an unexpected change in after school plans for your child. If you know in the morning, a note to the teacher is always appreciated. We appreciate your cooperation in making sure your child is safe.
- The Oakdale Community Club prints a family directory each fall containing the names of students by class, as well as names of parents, with their home addresses, phone numbers, and email information. Only families who submit information to the annual update will be included in the directory.
- Starting in mid-July, parents will have the opportunity to electronically submit information to the Community Club when completing the Annual Information Update online.
Community Club Information
- The Oakdale Community Club functions much like a parent teacher organization. They meet on a regular basis to discuss pertinent items, school events, and fundraisers. We encourage all parents to get involved in order to stay on top of what their children are doing in school. There are many volunteer opportunities available through the Community Club.
- Please contact the Community Club President for any questions or further information: Jasonea Shockey – email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For the school year, we ask families to consider donating school supplies. Doing so will save the district approximately $25,000 annually.
- In the summer newsletter, you will find a list of school supplies needed for our building. As you are purchasing supplies, please consider purchasing a few additional items for those families who are unable to provide these supplies for their children.
- We will continue to provide supplies for all children who do not wish to voluntarily contribute.
We also have a full list of additional parent resources available in our Important Parent Information section HERE.